Our girl loves flowers, she picks them everywhere she finds them (except from people's gardens - we've talked about that!), she gets me to buy her fake ones whenever we come across them and she even asked me to turn her bedroom light into a giant flower.
Since the local council planted a magnolia tree outside our house we've both become quite partial to that particular bloom.
So this was the challenge: to transform an ugly ball-globe light fitting (which we inherited with our home) into a gorgeous crimson magnolia.
I started out with some heavy pattern making paper and just chopped, shaped and measured until I came up with something I thought would work.
I cut out around seven or eight petals from fabric and iron-on stiffening. I re-used some plastic meat-trays (well washed) cut into strips to make 'bones' for each petal's center.
I sewed the petal seams up, clipped the curves and turned them right side out then top-stitched the edges.
After that I inserted a bone into each one and sewed that in place on the outside.
Measuring the base of the light fitting, I then overlapped my petals leaving a hole in the centre to sit nicely around the fitting, before basting a line of stitching to hold everything in place.
The only thing left to do was bind the top edge with Bias-tape and hang it up.
My only design issue with this light shade is that it shades too much of the light. Next time I think I'd use a lighter more transparent fabric and hang it over the original globe/ ball fitting so it wouldn't get too hot. I thought it would make a really nice cover for an ordinary lamp-shade - but that will be another project later down the track.
But Pinkster loves her magnolia bedroom light and that's the main thing with our craft sessions; to keep our resident art-director engaged in creating and coming up with ideas.